New to Australia!

New to the hobby or just want to say Hi? This is the place to introduce yourself (and your dolls!)
nakitaninja

New to Australia!

Postby nakitaninja » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:55 am

Hello there!

I'm here because I love the BJD hobby and I will be relocating to Sydney, Australia. I'm an American and have lived all over the US but have never been to your lovely country. I'm excited to see everything that Australia has to offer and I am hoping that living in a larger city will afford me the ability to make friends in the hobby and attend meet-ups. I'm a Volks enthusiast/collector but I love all dolls no matter the shape or form, materials, etc. It's really nice to meet you!

I tried to ask questions about the doll hobby and relocating on Den of Angels but the mods mushed my thread into a giant & generic thread about "MOVING WITH DOLLS". :pout: People were still kind enough to respond but with my question buried I only got one person to answer... so here I am! I hope people here don't mind me asking a few questions. ^_^

I have a pretty large resin and vinyl doll family that will be moving with me. Our relocation is paid for but I am still unsure about how to insure/ship/etc my collection. It makes me nervous just thinking about it. Some people said bubble wrap and heat reflecting blankets? Other people said remove the heads from the dolls so in case the shipment is lost/damaged/etc you'd still have some part of the dolls? There's just a lot to consider and I am hoping people here wouldn't mind sharing their moving advice/experience.

I am also completely unfamiliar with Australian customs and the postal service there... so again any input or advice for shipping or receiving would be ever so much appreciated. I'll go investigate the rest of the forum but since I am new here any pointers to goo threads would be awesome. :heart:

I know this post is already TLDR so please forgive the length! It's really nice to meet you all and I do hope we can be friends via the forum and maybe (eventually) in real life too!

LadyTakara

Re: New to Australia!

Postby LadyTakara » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:14 pm

I moved from to sydney to japan and back again 2 years later. I shipped some of my large dolls in their boxes via EMS (sent them to my parents) and the others i wrapped in my clothes inside my suitcase and had as many as possible with me in my carry on luggage.

I only had about 11 all together, so i'm not sure how viable this would be for you.

Where in Australia will you be moving to? I'm sure someone here wouldn't mind if you sent your dolls ahead of yourself and held them until you could pick them up yourself. (obviously there is a lot of trust involved in this but if you potter around on the forums, both here and the Doll Social Club, i'm sure youd find someone you could trust)

EDIT***

I just saw your profile says somewhere in sydney lol

I'd recommend heading over to http://www.dollsocial.club because its specifically for the sydney crowd, and we're all much more active on that forum than on this one (which is australia wide)

EDIT AGAIN****

i fail at this information thing -_-'
here is the doll social club facebook page as well… https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557614557824608/
~ Blog~ dART ~ DoA ~ YouTube - RedBubble
Feel free to call me Cassie ^_^

nakitaninja

Postby nakitaninja » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:02 am

LadyTakara wrote:I moved from to sydney to japan and back again 2 years later. I shipped some of my large dolls in their boxes via EMS (sent them to my parents) and the others i wrapped in my clothes inside my suitcase and had as many as possible with me in my carry on luggage.

Yay I got a repsonse! I had stopped checking because this forum is so quiet compared to DoA. It's not a knock on this place, I just assumed people weren't around/interested/etc. Thank you for the information! :heart:

Yeah, my collection has grown to 20+ so they'll have to be uber packed somehow in weather resistant chests with thermal wraps, etc. It'll likely be an ordeal. :cthulhu:

Thank you so much for the links and the fantastic information! I have to check it all out and the Doll Social Club look like exactly what I've been missing in my dolly life. I'm so happy there is a bjd presence there! I know it sounds stupid to assume there wasn't, I was just having difficulty finding people on DoA so I thought maybe there wasn't as big a following? So pleased to see there is.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for letting me know and I will go check out both sites! :D

Oh and very nice to meet you! ;3

Xanadu

Postby Xanadu » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:07 pm

Hi and welcome to Paracosm. Sydney BJD collectors usually have regular meets, so you'll be making friends in no time. They are usually listed on this forum, the Social Club or facebook.
Cheers!

Prince_pii

Postby Prince_pii » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:46 pm

Hello!! welcome to the community, We're actually a pretty big community in Sydney and have a lot of beautiful dolls and fun meets most months.
I'd love to see your Family! I really love Volks girls!

LadyTakara

Postby LadyTakara » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:46 pm

@nakitaninja Its not problem. I'm excited to meet you when you get here ^_^

You'll fit right in with the meets i'm sure (and i'll definitely be drooling over your volks dolls… I need more money just so I can have more volks in my life lol)

nakitaninja

Postby nakitaninja » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:21 am

I just wanted to update: We are officially here in Sydney now! I even went to my first doll meet and I wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone I met who made me feel so welcome. I feel so lucky to be part of a beautiful, thriving community! :)

My dolls are still in customs but will hopefully be through soon.

LadyTakara- Thank you so much for all of your kindness. I am guessing you are still abroad or we may have met already at the doll meet? ^^;;; Sorry if I don't recognize your handle but let's talk/visit soon!

Prince_pii- Thank you for making me feel so welcome. I feel super lucky to know you! <3

Everyone who wants to know more about me:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nakitaninja

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nakitaninja/

Den of Angels: https://denofangels.com/members/nakitaninja.53970/

Really nice to meet everyone and thank you again~

LadyTakara

Postby LadyTakara » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Oh gosh sorry nakita… I've not checked in here in quite some time. We may have met at a meet (i dont think i've missed any) but i'm super bad at remembering names. Epically bad in fact. So sorry if i didn't recognise you lol. My name is Cassie by the way. That might help in figuring out who is who

*just noticed my location still says japan -_-'

Kavarr

Postby Kavarr » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:57 pm

Hi and welcome! It has really gone quiet over here. It's a pity as it used to be a very active little forum. A lot of us use the facebook groups now like BJD Australia and New Zealand and Dolls of the World. It's good to hear you found the Sydney group as this hobby is so much more fun when you can share it. I am going to try making more posts here again so see you around the forum :)
Kavarr

Return to “Introductions”