It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Sueding material

Working on a project, or want to show off your BJD creations? This place is for you.
  • Author

Vega

Sueding material

PostSun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 pm

Not sure if I should post it here or in General Discussion...

I've always hot-glue sueded my dolls, but I want something a bit more permanent. So - do you use pliver (or similar material) to suede your dolls? Is it sticky-backed - and if not, how do you stick it in the joints? And where do you buy it from?

I'd love some resources, please. Thanks in advance!
I am aihre at Den of Angels.
Syr (Crobidoll Lance girl) ~ Justinian (Dollstown Mui) ~ Halcyon (disembodied Dollstown Rhea) ~ Chi Capella (Batchix Machina Delta)

butterflybuttons

Re: Sueding material

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:47 pm

I'd love to know too. And pictures of different techniques would be ever so helpful and appreciated.
At home: RS Mei with Yao legs. Isabella Christine (IH Lonnie). Anastasia Louise (IH Audrey) ?? (IH Storm)

Kattermole

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 3:16 pm

I had a BIG search for sueding material a couple of years ago. Pleather is too thick. I bought a bag of mixed scraps and none of it was suitable. IIRC, Volks sells it but it seemed a bit expensive for what you got. Enough for one doll.

Currently, I am looking for the moleskin stuff Dr. scholes makes to see if that works. There are lots of tutorials on the Web.

If anyone tracks down a source of doll suede, I"d love to hear about it.

Vega

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Alright, I found one source, from good ol' Daiso. They sell these sheets of pads to protect your feet from shoe sores, made out of nylon felt (so saith the packaging). They have a sticky backing, you can cut it into shape and then peel the backing off. $2.80 gets you 2 sheets, about 12cm on the edge - I used up almost a whole sheet to suede my SD all over.

My doll can definitely hold a pose better than with no sueding. This nylon felt doesn't seem as grippy as moleskin, but it's better than nothing.

butterflybuttons: I didn't take any photos of my process, but I unstrung my doll completely, and then cut out paper shapes to see how they fitted into the joints. Once I found a good shape, I traced it on the back of the felt and cut that out to stick into the joints. If you have DoA access, it has plenty of resources on how to suede with pliver or hot glue.

Kattermole, please let us know if you do find that moleskin!
I am aihre at Den of Angels.
Syr (Crobidoll Lance girl) ~ Justinian (Dollstown Mui) ~ Halcyon (disembodied Dollstown Rhea) ~ Chi Capella (Batchix Machina Delta)

PostMon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 am

I use just fake suede you get from fabric stores, and glued it in place with PVA glue. It does eventually flatten and lose it's grip over time, so it's got about the same permanency as hot glue sueding. I only tend use it in situations where hot glue sueding would chip away blushing (like on fantasy parts, etc), or when I need a thinner layer of friction than hot glue can give.
[DA] [Tumblr] [Etsy]

Return to Projects and Portfolios